At West Rise, we grow well-rounded, emotionally literate individuals.
We want children to know how to:
- stay healthy; physically and mentally
- recognise healthy relationships,
- take risks and
- make healthy choices.
We want children to
- be able to take part in philosophical discussions
- be critical thinkers
- have high aspirations and expectations of themselves.
As a UNICEF Rights Respecting School children learn how to follow the Rights and Responsibilities and apply them in their daily lives.
The PSHE programme
The Personal, Social, Health and Economic programme equips children with a sound understanding of risk. It covers knowledge and skills necessary to make safe and informed choices. The programme covers their:
- physical and mental health,
- economic education
- personal education, and
- having good judgement as consumers.
It supports all areas of the curriculum including play and lunchtime and develops confidence and self-esteem.
The RSE programme
This informs the compulsory part of PSHE. It includes:
- drug education
- financial education
- relationship and sex education, and
- the importance of physical activity and diet for a healthy lifestyle.
PSHE & RSE is covered in a variety of ways and is the foundation of children’s daily lives.
Download our PSHE/ RSE progression document for more on the knowledge and skills pupils learn each term (29 pages).